Friday, August 27, 2010

Words_Can I Get a Jehovah's Witness?

This has nothing to do with Jehovah's Witnesses. I just thought it would be funny. I'm regretting that decision right now.

There are numerous times when I've witnessed my niece or nephew (all under age 7) fighting over a toy; one is awarded the toy for a set amount of time and the other is doomed to find something equally if not more entertaining. Usually this search is futile. The emotions exchanged during this polarized battle of haves and have nots are so over the top, I find myself unable to empathize with these little ones and attempting to talk adult sense into them. I know I'm not alone in this when I hear their parents respond by saying, "Yeah, well life's not fair," or "It's just a toy! You have five other ones exactly like it right there! Why do you care if you she has one of them!" We try to make them see what we see; to apply adult logic to a mind that is not nor should be ready for that kind of application.

I see this in myself a lot. Robbe and I have our share of squabbles over what can be such trite, insignificant things. In the moment, they're fierce and unsettling and no matter how logical it would be to surrender my pride and come to a resolution, I instead can only fight and focus on my selfishness while wallowing in my have nots. In these moments, I need a hefty reality check; someone to tell me to take a step back and examine everything I have that is wonderful and good; to not waste this time on such trivial things because what we face now is really the easiest part of life and it would be a shame to continuously clog it up with unnecessary hurdles. We have so much to be thankful for and so much to enjoy, but we make it unnecessarily difficult for ourselves.

So. Who is going to be that person who drops this reality check on me on a regular basis? Please leave your contact information and how often you're available. And $5. You'll get it back if you're good enough. But probably not.

No comments: